Last night was the spring edition of Sydney Frocktails – the second one for the year!
Like last time, I didn’t overthink my make and just went with what felt right to me. And what felt right to me was the new(ish) Cielo dress from Closet Case Patterns, paired with this (sadly sold out) fabulous viscose crepe from Tessuti (blue still available)
I had this planned in my head for weeks before the night, but as usual procrastinated about both buying the pattern and fabric, and then actually making it.
I first saw the fabric in an email, and fell in love with it. I finally went to buy it (online) a couple of weeks later, only for it not to be there anymore. However, this was the same weekend that Tessuti had a snap online sale, and I have noticed that they do actually take some of their fabrics offline during sales. And sure enough, it was back up once the sale had ended.
But I procrastinated for another week before I ended up walking down to the Surry Hills store during my lunch break (I can walk there in about 5 mins from work – luckily I rarely actually shop there!) – and of course there was none there. They had the blue colourway, but it did nothing for me. Thankfully I asked, and they did have more in stock at the warehouse, so I was able to finally get it a few days later.
Meanwhile, I bought the PDF version of the pattern, and decided that I would try and have it printed via Officeworks – but I was unable to upload it from home. My closest Officeworks is virtually impossible to park at, day or night (there is a gym in the same complex), so I would prefer to be able to upload PDFs from home. I know I can take it in and do it but this just adds time to the process, so I just printed and taped it myself.
Size wise – I went with the D cup in a size 14. I did make a quick muslin of the top to check the size – mind you, I used some lovely linen from The Fabric Store – I only basted it together at the shoulders and sides to check it, but I will sew it up properly (tomorrow I hope!) I do wonder though now looking at the pics whether I should go down to the C cup, or perhaps go down a size…
For once, I did not have to move the bust dart at all – I ALWAYS move it down. Not sure if this was due to the larger cup size, but I was pretty happy with that! The dart actually comes out of the armscyse, not the side seam like most do. The only change I made was to add side seam pockets (I know from experience not to do the type of pockets in view A of this pattern with a drapey fabric – they droop terribly).
The pattern calls for 2.6m – which I bought, not expecting it to actually take this much – but the sleeves are huge and the sleeve bottom is doubled (like a cuff). I do have some left over, but not enough to do much with. (Also want to note here that the sleeves are LONG – they hit me right at the wrist – I would prefer them to be slightly shorter).
It is a straightforward sew, only taking a few hours from start to finish. The fabric was not nice to sew with though – it was hard to keep the pieces straight on the grain.
I really love this pattern – I think it will prove to be a TNT – the two sleeves give the dress/top such a different feel, and they really lend themselves to be made in completely different fabrics.
As for Frocktails – it was a lovely night. Not as scary as last time, given I had met people at the last one. We again met early (although I was late – typical..) for pre-drinks (sound like an 18 year old!), before walking down to the pub. The sewing community is such a welcoming one – it was lovely to chat to old and new friends, and I am already looking forward to the next one!
(Side note – yes, I wore the same necklace as I did last time. It went the best with my dress, so I have decided it can be my Frocktails tradition!)